Low FODMAP courgette fritters with a garlicky yogurt! When researching how others liked their fritters, I came across Nigella Lawson’s recipe online. She summed up my feelings about the fritter world so well I had to share it below:
“…the word fritter conjures up a complex world of deep-frying and dense-eating, but these are light, simple babies – just grated courgettes, mixed with feta, herbs and spring onions, stirred up with flour …”
There are of course only the green tops of spring onions in my recipe to keep it FODMAP friendly, but you get the gist. Mellow thanks to the abundance of courgette, but fresh and vibrant thanks to the lemon and herbs, they’re perfect for summer and these warmer days outside.
I’ve been making a batch of these courgette, feta and herb fritters on Monday nights for the week ahead. They keep really well for a few days and are delicious cold in a lunchbox. Super versatile you can also have them by themselves as a snack, or as a weeknight dinner, served with a gluten free grain and a poached egg on top. They also make the perfect foundation for an informal summer lunch with friends – imagine sandwiched between a toasted gluten free bun, smothered with the garlicky yogurt and accompanied by juicy, charred roasted tomatoes and crisp, crunchy salad. Have I sold you yet??
If not here’s three more things: they’re easy on the gut and cheap to make but also packed with goodness. And PS did you see my recipe for strawberry and basil soda? They might make a nice summer pair!
- Courgettes are cheap, abundant and delicious in the summer months but you could try making these fritters with carrots or another veg instead
- Swap up the herbs to whatever you’ve got on hand
- 500g courgette
- sea salt
- 4 spring onions, green parts only, chopped (or a small bunch chives)
- 135g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 small bunch mint, chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 80g plain gluten free flour
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 tablespoon garlic infused oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 125g plain yoghurt (lactose-free if needed)
- 2tbsp lemon juice
- Any herbs leftover
- Roasted tomatoes
- Toasted gluten free buns
- Crunchy salad leaves
- Grate the courgettes into a colander and sprinkle with a little sea salt. Mix lightly and set aside for 30 minutes.
- While you're waiting, make the sauce by combining the garlic oil, olive oil, yoghurt and lemon juice in a bowl. Season with a little salt and place in the fridge until using.
- After 30 mins, squeeze the excess liquid from the courgettes and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Combine the courgette, spring onion, feta cheese, herbs and eggs in a bowl. Sift and mix in the flour. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Form the mixture into small patties with wet hands and place in the fridge to chill for 20 minutes.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat.
- Carefully place the courgette patties into the pan, pressing down with the back of a spatula or wooden spoon. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm while you cook the rest.
- Serve with the garlicky yogurt, toasted gluten free buns, roasted tomatoes and crunchy salad leaves.
Photographs by Emma Croman!