Is there anything better than a day that involves pancakes? Specifically fluffy, light-as-cloud lemon and blueberry buttermilk pancakes? Stacked high and drenched in maple syrup, finished off with a few extra tart blueberries? I don’t think there is!!
Pancake Day is fast approaching and if you’re anything like me I’m already thinking about what deliciousness I could be flippin’. After making this recipe I think lemon and blueberry has taken over as my favourite pancake flavour combination and it might just do for you too. There’s something so refreshing about the pop of lemon and combined with the tartness of the blueberries, these really hit the pancake spot.
I’ve been working with Milk & More for the last few months and to my excitement they recently started stocking Clarence Court’s Leghorn Whites free range eggs. We’re talking eggs with beautiful bright white shells, stamped with their iconic blue Clarence Court Crown and signature vibrant golden yolks. For a decadent, indulgent, show-stopping breakfast, these are your guys.
If I haven’t sold you already, these pancakes are also gluten free and FODMAP friendly for those of us in need – not that you could tell. Made with just a few staple ingredients and served up in no time, treat friends, family and housemates to these blueberry and lemon speckled golden discs of joy. Try the recipe below!
Look at the fluffy gluten free pancake squidge on those! ^^^
- For fluffy pancakes you want a batter that drops off the spoon rather than runs off. Add the liquid slowly so you can see where you’re at
- Small lumps in your batter are OK! Don’t over mix as this can make your batter chewy rather than fluffy
- Maple syrup and extra blueberries to serve are optional but highly recommended
- 300ml milk of your choice (I used almond)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 200g gluten free plain flour
- 50g rolled oats, gluten free if needed
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Zest of ½ a lemon
- 1 Clarence Court Leghorn Whites free range egg
- 25g butter, melted, plus extra for frying
- 150g blueberries
- Maple syrup, to serve
- First make the 'buttermilk' by combining the almond milk and 1 tablespoon lemon juice and whisk together. Let sit for 5-7 minutes to 'curdle'.
- Mix together the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and lemon zest in a large bowl.
- Beat the egg with the milk, make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and whisk in the milk to make a thick batter. Try not to over mix.
- Beat in the melted butter and place the batter back in the fridge for ten minutes to rest (and to let the gluten free flour soak up all that liquid).
- Heat a small knob of butter in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Drop two large tablespoonful of the batter per pancake into the pan. Scatter the batter with blueberries. Cook for about 3 minutes over a medium heat until small bubbles appear on the surface of each pancake, then turn and cook another 2-3 minutes until golden.
- Cover with a clean kitchen towel to keep warm while you use up the rest of the batter.
- Serve with maple syrup and the rest of the blueberries.
*A big thank you to Milk & More for sponsoring this post! Wake up to a fantastic range of food and drink delivered to your door by 7am by checking out their website here.